Happy National Left-Hander’s Day!
As a left handed person, I know the woes of scissors not cutting correctly, ink being smeared all over the side of my hand when writing, and not being able to just pick up a gaming controller and play. Also, hearing, “Oh, you’re a lefty” every time I do anything in front of a person was old 30 years ago.
While being left-handed is considered pretty rare—making up only 10% of the world’s population—being a southpaw does have its perks.
- Lefties remember song lyrics better than right-handers. The fact that I can remember the words to pretty much every song I’ve heard since 1985 leads me to believe this is true.
- They have Right-Brain dominance. This means we tend to be more creative and imaginative, are better at expressing feelings even non-verbally, and are great at daydreaming.
- Left-Handed people are divergent thinkers. They are said to be good at complex reasoning, resulting in a high number of lefty Noble Prize winners, writers,artists, musicians, architects and mathematicians.
- There are Stores dedicated to Lefties. These places not only sell novelty items touting our (assumed) superiority, they also have practical items like left-handed scissors, can openers, and notebooks that don’t let the spiral cut into your arm. Honestly, I would hate not being able to drink out of my favorite coffee cup with my left hand.
Crochet with Confidence
Being a left-handed crocheter does come with some challenges. Mainly that most tutorials are made for right-handed people, and crocheting left-handed is more than just doing the mirror of the 90%. Here are few tutorials to help you get started on your hook wielding dreams.
- Moogly – One of my go-to places for a lot of things. Great patterns and tutorials
- WikiHow – When all else fails, look at life sized, step-by-step photos of what to do
- Crochet Guild of America – It has to be official coming from the CGOA, right?
I’d love to hear about any projects you’re working on, starting, or need help understanding. Post a comment, or send me a message!